Imagine coming home from a long day indoors and wanting nothing more than to dive into your pool. The surface of your swimming pool has started to develop some green algae, which you notice as you walk up to it to begin your swim. You find out that adding more chlorine is necessary after testing the water’s chemistry. To quickly get rid of the algae, you shock the pool. Can you swim in a pool after it has been shocked? Generally speaking, you should swim after 24 hours, but in some circumstances, you can swim earlier.

Let’s take a look below at what the health and safety recommendations are.

What is Pool Shock?

Let’s talk about chlorine shock and why it’s important to wait to swim after adding it before we tell you how long you need to wait before you swim in your pool water.

Your pool could have contaminants that are too numerous for a routine sanitizer program to handle. Perspiration, urine, cosmetics, leaves, algae, and other contaminants regularly add chloramines to your pool. Regular shock treatments (once every one to two weeks) keep these contaminants under control and reduce the strain on your filtration system and regular sanitization procedure. When your pool has been dormant for the winter, these stresses are still present.

By killing the contaminants, shock can help restore the pH balance of the water in your pool. Pool shock is a heightened cleaning procedure that employs many times as much chlorine as standard pool cleaning.

When Can I Swim After Shocking My Pool?

When will you be able to swim? A general rule of thumb states that a pool is safe to swim in 24 hours after being shocked. Use a chemical test kit to check your pH and chlorine levels to make sure they are balanced. Ensure that your free chlorine level is back to 3 ppm or less.

Make sure the algae is completely removed from the pool if there is a serious alga bloom before you enter. How long it takes to remove the algae will vary depending on how bad the algae bloom is. It is best to discuss your particular issue with a local pool expert. Following a shock treatment for your pool, your chemical products will start the difficult task of removing the bacteria and other contaminants.

The hard work of removing the bacteria and other contaminants will start as soon as you shock your pool.

How Long Does Shock Take to Dissolve?

The majority of other pool chemicals, such as alkalinity, pH, and calcium hardness, dissolve in your pool water in less than an hour. The chlorine-based pool shock, however, takes longer to work in the water because it is a strong, highly concentrated dose of chlorine.

Your chlorine levels are meant to be quickly raised by adding chlorine shock, such as dichlor or cal-hypo shock. By quickly increasing your chlorine levels above 10 ppm, this eliminates contaminants like chloramines, algae, and other pollutants. Even though the high chlorine content is great for eradicating chloramines and killing algae, swimming in it is not safe. Consequently, you must wait at least 8 hours after adding shock to your water or whenever your chlorine levels return to a safe range (ideally, 3 ppm or less than 5 ppm). Always recheck your pool’s water chemistry after shocking it using a test kit or test strips.

Pool Shock

When Should You Shock Your Pool?

After contamination, such as after a pool party or a lot of rain, shocking assists by restoring the pH balance of the pool water. If you already have a significant algae bloom, it also inhibits algae growth and is a more successful remedy than algaecide.

In addition to removing chloramines, or combined chlorine, pool shock also helps to renew your existing chlorine. This means that the regular chlorine in your water can keep doing its job of sanitizing it.

What Type of Shock Should You Use?

We advise using a chlorine-based shock, such as calcium hypochlorite (cal-hypo) or dichlor shock, if you have a significant water issue. Contaminants and algae will be killed by the chlorine’s strong concentration. However, because they will significantly raise the amount of chlorine in your water, your pool won’t be safe for swimming in until the chlorine levels return to normal.

Use a non-chlorine shock if you need one for routine maintenance or to reactivate your sanitizer. Non-chlorine shocks, also known as oxidizers, allow you to resume swimming shortly after they are added to the water. Because it won’t change your chlorine levels, that is. Although this kind of shock will assist in restoring balance to your water, pool owners who are dealing with serious issues like algae typically find it to be insufficiently potent.

Strong oxidizer that raises the levels of free chlorine while removing combined chloramines, which are non-sanitizing chlorine compounds. aids in eradicating harmful bacteria as well as algae growth. Ideal for use with chlorine or bromine sanitized applications, weekly maintenance, and will not affect other chemical levels

What Should You Do After Shocking Your Pool?

Allow your pool’s filter to circulate the water after you’ve shocked it. After shocking, leave the pump on for at least eight hours. Also keep in mind that if you use an unstabilized shock, such as cal-hypo, you should always add shock at night. If not, the sun will burn off the shock.

How Much Does It Cost

The price of shocking a pool can vary depending on the condition of the pool and the volume of water it holds. In general, you can expect to pay between $25 and $50 for each shock session. To solve your algae growth problems, hopefully you won’t need more than a few bags.

Other Recommended Maintenance

Now that you know how much time you need to wait before you can swim in a shocked pool. Say you are unable to travel to the store to purchase the shock. Can you swim in a green pool? There are different ways to answer that, so do your research before diving into a green pool.

Getting a pool inspection may be something you want to think about if you have recently spent a lot of money shocking your pool or removing the green from your pool. The reasons why the water in your pool cannot remain chemically balanced may be discovered by a pool inspection. Change your pool filter if necessary in some circumstances. Investigate getting a pool inspected.

Last but not least, while we’re talking about your pool and any potential worries you might have about it, think about checking all of the safety features to make sure they’re in working order. Your swimming pool’s main drain will be equipped with an anti-entrapment cover. You might want to check the anti-entrapment drain cover after your pool has been cleaned up. This plastic object might deteriorate and break with time. If this is the situation, you should replace it.

Conclusion

If you have to add shock to your pool, something is probably not working properly. Additionally, there’s a good chance that your body’s chemical balance has been upset. The cost of attempting to fix your pool’s problems could be high. It is best to leave it to the experts in this situation.

FAQs

Can You Swim in a Pool After You Shock It?

After shocking a pool, is it possible to swim in it? You need to wait for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours after using a chlorine-based shock before you can swim. And to make sure your chemical levels are within range, you should retest your water.

What Happens If You Go in a Pool That Was Just Shocked?

You run the risk of causing skin and eye damage if you use a pool after adding a lot of bleach, liquid chlorine, or another chlorine-based shock. Large amounts of chlorine and chlorine shock are extremely corrosive. The water should not be ingested. Please seek immediate medical attention if accidentally swallowed.

How Long Should You Run a Filter After Shocking a Pool?

After your swimming pool has been shocked, run the pump and filter for at least 8 hours. This gives the pump enough time to move the chemicals around while the filter cleans the water. Plan to run the filter for at least 24 hours if you’re treating algae.